Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen, popularly often called De Guvnor is a Nigerian movie producer, director, and scriptwriter with nearly 25 years of expertise. He is the CEO of Lancelot Imasuen Media Network (LIMN), a public speaker, and founding member of the Directors’ Guild of Nigeria (DGN).
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen Background
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen was born on the 20th of June 1971, to the household of Chief and Mrs Godwin Imasuen. He hails from Urhokuosa city of Uhunmwonde Local Government Area, Edo State, Nigeria. He had his major schooling at Oguola Primary School, whereas his Secondary schooling was at Eghosa Grammar School, Benin City, Nigeria.
After his Secondary schooling, Lancelot proceeded to the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), the place he studied Theatre Arts. As a toddler, Lancelot already had ardour for the humanities, and this was evident in his involvement in his secondary college’s drama society, and the literary and debating society.
He was additionally concerned within the productions of his church drama group. Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen is married to Aimua Imasuen, and they’re blessed with three beautiful kids.
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen Career
Lancelot joined knowledgeable theatre firm known as Earthpot Kulture in Benin at a younger age. His profession as a director began with Evangel Theatre, a TV Gospel Drama Series, at age 19.
From 1988-1991 when Lancelot relocated to Lagos, he labored as an off-the-cuff workers of the Bendel Broadcasting Service (BBS). In 1994, he obtained a job because the Production Assistant of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).
Lancelot rose to the limelight on the age of 26, with the movie Yesterday. Thus far, Lancelot has been featured and interviewed by CNN, BBC, America Public Radio, South Korean Broadcasting Service, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Canadian Broadcasting Service, Nigerian Television Authority, African Independent Television, Channels Television, Silver Bird Television, African Journal Online, Washington Post, Guardian of Ottawa and a number of other different International Broadcasting Network. He was the primary African filmmaker to be a visitor on CNN (Screening Room) in 2009.
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuwen is presently the Honorary Academic Chair on Filmmaking, Theatre and Mass Communication of the Department of Mass Communication, Benson Idahosa University, Benin City, Nigeria.
- Yesterday – 1997
- The Soul That Sinneth – 1999
- The Last Burial – 2000
- Issakaba – 2000
- Private Sin – 2003
- Enslaved – 2004
- Moment of Truth – 2005
- Family Battle – 2005
- Games Women Play – 2005
- Behind Closed Doors – 2005
- Games Men Play – 2006
- Yahoo Millionaire – 2007
- Sister’s Love – 2008
- Nollywood Babylon – 2008
- Entanglement – 2009
- Reloaded – 2009
- Home in Exile – 2010
- Bent Arrows – 2010
- A Private Storm – 2010
- Adesuwa – 2012
- Udeme Mmi – 2012
- Lonely Heart – 2013
- Invasion 1897 – 2014
- ABC’s of Death 2 – 2014
- The Insider – 2015
- Enslaved – 2015
- ATM (Authentic Tentative Marriage) – 2016
- Darima’s Dilemma – 2017
- Love Upon the Hills – 2017
- Based on Principle – 2017
- Idahosa – 2017
- Shadows within the Dark – 2017
- Crushed – 2018
- Love Birds – 2018
- Benin Fruit Seller (Documentary) – 2018
- Wede – 2018
- Rant Queens – 2019
- The Wrong One – 2019
- Sacrosanct – 2019
- The Fall of Nekighidi (Stage Play) – 2019
- Love or Quest – 2019
As A Public Speaker
- He delivered a lecture at Howard University Washington DC.
- Lancelot delivered lectures on the Igbinedion University Okada, Nigeria, Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma, Nigeria, Benson Idahosa University, and Kwara State University.
- He delivered a seminar paper on Piracy in Nollywood on the 27th of March 2011. The seminar was organized by the African college students of Columbia University, Washington DC.
- Guest speaker on the African collection of African/Caribbean Society of the St. Andrews University, Scotland in the course of the African scholar’s occasion.
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen Awards And Nominations
- Recipient of the Prestigious University of Port Harcourt Alumnus Award
- Africa Movie Academy Award nominee for Best Director – 2006
- Nominee for Best Feature Film on the Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) – 2010
- Nominated on the Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Director – 2012
- Nollywood Movie Award nominee for Best Director – 2012
- Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Nigerian Film – 2012
- Nominated on the Nollywood Movie Award for Best Director – 2013
- Audience Choice Award nominee on the Chicago International Film Festival – 2014
- City People Movie Award for Movie Director of the Year (English) – 2015
- Best Comedy Film on the Abuja International Film Festival – 2016
- City People Movie Special Recognition Award – 2018
- Award of Excellence on the Edo Talent Awards – 2018
- Best Film Award on the Lekki International Film Festival – 2019
- National Council for Arts and Culture Awards for propagating the Benin Cultural Heritage – 2019.
- The Creative Industry Group’s Distinguished Veterans Recognition Award – 2019
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen Quotes
“Greatness does not hide and cannot be hidden…”
“Do not concern the bigness of the problem or state of affairs. Pray
for a coronary heart sufficiently big to confront it, and certain victory will likely be yours on the
“Spread your inner beauty. Speak good to life and spread goodness all around.”
“I all the time compete towards myself. I’m very obsessed with
what is occurring in Africa. I consider it may change. I consider we are able to get the
proper leaders on board. I consider that issues can go nicely. I consider that my
movies will likely be reference factors for the longer term constructing of Africa.”
“Nollywood is a major and essential force in the fight against American media imperialism.”
“Once you aren’t glad, you starvation for extra effort, not
minding the income however the constructive end result.”
“One film manufacturing can journey the world and alter
Nigeria’s notion on the earth.”
“If you get an undeserving award it may kill you. Receiving
an award can kill you or make you.”
“Locate your dream, then light up your passion, let the light burn as you keep doing what is right that you believe in and trust in your efforts. I tell you, one day, your candle will light up the world and time will celebrate you”.
Passion And Stay Focused
Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen acknowledged he had ardour for the humanities from his childhood. As such, he labored in the direction of making his ardour a actuality. He studied theatre arts on the University to hone his ardour and turn into a talented professional in his area.
As an entrepreneur, being passionate isn’t sufficient. You have to hone your ardour and turn into a talented professional at it. Then, your ardour and talent would finally make you stand out.
Also, his focus was on altering the African narrative and exhibiting the Nigerian cultural heritage by means of motion pictures. So, even when he wasn’t acknowledged or awarded, he didn’t cease. All he wished was to make sure the Nigerian cultural heritage was upheld.
As an entrepreneur, it’s worthwhile to have a objective you’re centered on, and nothing ought to cease you from being one of the best you may be. Because, whatever the problem you face, your focus can be in your objective till you breakthrough.
Image Credit: @lancelotimasuen – Instagram
The submit Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen: Biography And Career Of De Guvnor. appeared first on Entrepreneurs In Nigeria.